Re: Importing the apropos GSoC code and switching to mandoc(1) by default

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
It highlights search terms using escape sequences, which interacts badly with pagers:

I've changed it to always use the redraw sequences like mandoc does too. That was already the default when using -p.

Thanks.

It prints more than a screenful of output by default. I'd suggest either printing only one line per result by default, or piping through a pager if the output is a tty.

One line per result would remove the context of the match, which would be a serious regeression in usefulness.

I liked the one-line results from the old apropos or man -k, and I'd prefer that to be the default. The context is also very useful, but I think it should be optional.

Forcing the pager by default is IMO a PITA, since all sane terminals have some form of scrollback (xterm, wscons). We could limit the default output to 5, that should be good enough for normal output.

Since man(1) without "-k" uses a pager, I thought that letting "man -k" also use a pager would make sense. However, for apropos(1), I agree that invoking a pager by default makes less sense.

--apb (Alan Barrett)