Re: Importing the apropos GSoC code and switching to mandoc(1) by default

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
attached is the new apropos created by Abhinav Upadhyay during last year's Summer of Code. I've added a small whatis(1) implementation to round it up. This should be a functional replacement for apropos(1) and whatis(1). It obsoletes makewhatis(8).

I would like this to be added to the base system.

At the same time, I would like to switch to using mandoc(1) for man page formatting by default and disable cat page generation. [...] I do not intend to disable groff and I don't intend to remove the cat page functionality from man. So if a specific document renders badly or not at all, it can always be pre-rended with groff(1).

That sounds fine too.

--apb (Alan Barrett)