Re: disklabel(8) allows addressing non-existent space

Hi,

> > Imho the current way of having to deal with an editor and a calculator, or
> > the interactive mode and eventually creating an invalid label without
> > further warning is imho somewhat... unintuitive.
>
> I think we have too many ways to edit disklabels ;-)
>
> I am dreaming of a sysinst submenu "Expert Disk Setup", offerering
> everything you need to deal with additional/new disks (including raid,
> cgd, lvm)  - and then have that available in the installed system as
> well "somehow".
imho, the sysinst way is nice for beginners, but with menus, you're very
limited. Non-terminal editing is hardly possible, and if you have a picky
or slow terminal, you'll get annoyed by menus anyway.

sysinst could be capable of more, but currently it's imho hard to do. sysinst
is written in C. Although it has simple bindings for executing binaries,
adding new functionality is still *very* complicated (but still there are
things in sysinst you want to do in C rather than in sh or whatever).

Regards, Julian