Re: Generically running rc scripts

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:07:14 +1100
Luke Mewburn <lukem%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> 2. Easier to start services in $rc_directories other than /etc/rc.d
> (so you don't have to remember the "path" to a given service).

So if I understand, ultimately we could have support
for /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.d/ with the
ability to:

- Not have to copy exemple pkgsrc rc.d scripts manually
- List all services by name or ID
- Locate/invoke a script for a particlar service automatically (by
  service name or ID)
- List the configuration variable(s) related to a particular service
  for an easy reference when editing /etc/rc.conf (possibly with
  information about its default and current user-setting)

If all the above can be handled by such a frontend script, it seems
quite advantageous, indeed.

>   | Also, would the direct rc.d scripts invokation
>   | eventually be deprecated/discouraged because of a services wrapper (as
>   | is the case on Ubuntu where I get an annoying warning everytime I
>   | invoke an init.d script directly)?
>
> Not if I have any say in the matter.

:)

Thanks for the information,