Re: Generically running rc scripts

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Julian Fagir wrote:
About the former matter: It's good for omitting redundant code for parsing rc_directories, rcvar and name. If you want to restart a service currently, you have to parse rc.conf and in some cases also all rc scripts manually for their names and rcvar to get the right one.

What redundant code would be eliminated, and what manual parsing would be eliminated? I am just not seeing it.

Sure, there are a few lines of redundant code at the top of each rc.d script, but adding a wrapper does nothing to remove that redundant code. Getting rid of the rc.d scripts would get rid of the redundant code, but I thought you explicitly said that you did not want to do that.

When I want to restart a service like "named", I don't have to do any manual parsing; I just run "/etc/rc.d/named restart".

--apb (Alan Barrett)