Re: fs-independent quotas

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:57:04AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
 > > support to other filesystems (tempfs, perhaps v7fs) or even add other
 > > filesystems that have or may have their own native quota handling
 > > (zfs, Hammer, you name it).
 >
 > zfs - does it really have quota?

I don't know... but if not, there are plenty of other fses.

 > All the demos I've seen talk about sub-filesystem limits; you create
 > per-user sub-filesystems if you want to emulate per-user quota.
 >
 > (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
 >
 > How would this fit in, if at all?

That's a good question. My first instinct is that like the other stuff
zfs does that it does in its own semantically-incompatible way, it
would require its own tools. But I guess the quota system could be
made to report the limits if the sub-filesystems are specifically
assigned to users somehow. Or something like that...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost