pkgsrc and XAPPLRESDIR

agc@ wrote:

> > For example, some third party binaries requires
> > XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/pkg/lib/x11/app-defaults
> > (until PR xsrc/26357 is resolved)
> > to pull the default settings, but it's hard to find it
> > if users install apps by pkg_add(8) as INSTALL notes suggested.
>
> Another touchy subject for me.  pkgsrc has no business landing files
> or directories or other symbolic links in directory trees which can be
> viewed as "system".  The same goes for /bin, /sbin, and /usr/{s,}bin
> as goes for X11, and that way lies Linux.  That's why tv invented
> xpkgwedge, and that's why we put all packages (by default) under
> ${PREFIX}.

The problem I met (during liveimage setup) is:
---
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt
# cd /mnt/packages
# pkg_add kterm
kterm-6.2.0nb17: setting permissions on /usr/pkg/bin/kterm (o=root, g=wheel,
m=4511)
# rehash
# kterm
kterm: unable to open font "", trying "fixed"....
 [ mangled font menus etc ]
^C
# setenv XAPPLRESDIR /usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults
# kterm
 [ everything works fine ]
---

Some packages install app-defaults file into /usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults
but the directory search is handled by X libraries (I guess)
so xpkgwedge doesn't help at run time. (not installed by pkg_add(1))

I had to put setenv XAPPLRESDIR for it, but it took a few hours
to remember it because I completely forgot it. In such case
commented out variable settings in skel files might help users.

Anyway it would be better to add a MESSAGE file that mentions XAPPLRESDIR
to all packages which install app-defaults files (only ancient apps?),
or simply fix our xsrc to search also /usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults
per PR xsrc/26357, as we already added /usr/pkg/bin into the default PATH.

---
Izumi Tsutsui