Re: Proposal for write(1) addition

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:49:00AM +0200, Julian Fagir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > according to somebody from the #tmux-channel in freenode, tmux does not
> > > set utmp entries because they would need additional permissions for that.
> >
> > That could be easily fixed by adding a utmp-writing daemon that took
> > unix domain messages from clients.  Each message would pass both creds,
> > so the user in question could be authenticated, and rights, so the
> > utmp daemon could validate that in fact the client had an open file
> > descriptor to the terminal it was claiming to be logged in on.
> >
> > This would have the added benefit that the utmp writing daemon could
> > run as a _utmp role account instead of as root...
> >
> > Should work, no?
> this would have been the cleanest solution, if you had it right from the
> beginning on.

I can just put the code in libutil for all callers.

Now if I only had something bigger than a smartphone to type on...
it'll have to go on my list, for the moment.

Thor

--
Thor Lancelot Simon                                    tls%panix.com@localhost
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all