Re: Making powerd=YES default

On 27.07.2011 17:18, Julio Merino wrote:
> On 7/27/11 10:38 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:27:17AM -0400, Julio Merino wrote:
>>> Why then not hardcode all this logic in the powerd rc.d script so that
>>> this is all transparent?
>>
>> Because it hides the magic in a script that the user should not have to
>> touch? But maybe I misunderstand what you are proposing.
>
> What I meant is that, if sysinst is going to decide if powerd should
> start or not based on the architecture, I don't see why the powerd rc.d
> script could not decide this by itself.  And by doing so, you'd avoid
> the need for the postinstall check.

IMHO, users would expect rc.d scripts to be self-consistent, that is:
their behavior should not be dictated by the architecture (or any
particular system feature). However, rc.conf (and defaults/) should be,
as they are configuration-related files. But there's no /etc/powerd.conf
file :o

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost