Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:52:21 +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
My opinion is: It should *not* be enabled by default, but rather during
system install time, i.e. in sysinst, towards the end of the
installation, the user should be asked a few questions:

- Do you want to run powerd by default?
- Do you want to run sshd by default?
- etc.

sysinst can then taylor /etc/rc.conf accordingly.

Last time I did an OpenBSD install from scratch, this was only about enabling sshd.

(The OpenBSD installer asks such questions during install, you might
want to check that one to see what I mean.)

More levers, knobs, buttons :)

I can understand the question about sshd: the daemon serves a purpose most people know about, and running such a service has an important impact on the system (it's a possible remote access, like all network daemons). powerd isn't really the same kind of daemon.

IMHO, it's a matter of reasonable defaults here. I bet most NetBSD users (and even a fair amount of developers) won't be familiar with the idea that "you need powerd(8) to run _before_ you can manage sleep events under a Xen domU".

When we'll start having questions like "I tried an xm save but the command froze afterwards, and domU is still executing, what am I doing wrong?", it won't be that funny to answer them all. And I'd like to avoid the route of "just do everything in kernel it's easier", or "foobar allows doing this and that, if you are unsure say [Y] to the question."

As said to Emmanuel, I have no problem enabling it on a per-arch basis by patching etc.[i386,amd64]/Makefile.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost