Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:50:18 +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
Since I always have to enable it, I would rather think it is a
good idea, but are there any drawbacks?

Except for memory, I can't see any; the binary itself has a reasonable size (it's actually 16k when dynamically linked, on my host). Note that it requires proplib(3) and util(3), so that would count a grand total of ~150k.

Memmory footprint
on embedded ports comes to my mind, but do is stock rc.conf used
in such setup?

Well, these days, most embedded systems do not have the same stringent memory requirements as the ones of a toaster :)

But anyhow, you can still turn it off (or disable it), this will have a minimal impact.

I also assume there are ports where powerd is of no benefit. Therefore
enabling it there would just consume memory for nothing, wouldn't it?

Of course, anything started but not used waists memory, that's something you can't know in advance :)

Taking the stock etc/defaults/rc.conf:

[...]
inetd=YES               inetd_flags="-l"      # -l logs libwrap
syslogd=YES             syslogd_flags="-s"    # -s "secure" unix domain only
cron=YES
[...]

There are already some daemons marked as "YES" by default.

In case this raises too many objections, I can add a line in etc.[i386,amd64]/Makefile to patch etc/rc.conf and add a local override. People will have to be careful during updates with etcupdate/postinstall though.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost