config file formats

Would anyone object to adopting a convention in which if the first
line of a config file begins with "#@" it identifies the format?
E.g. if we were to deploy a new syslog.conf format this year the first
line of new-format syslogd config would be

   #@syslogd 2011

or something. Maybe the number should be the netbsd version, and/or
maybe it should have "netbsd" in it.

There are a number of legacy formats we should be attempting to move
away from; methods like this make backwards compat work, having a
convention for it is an obvious plus, and I don't know of any existing
such convention suitable for /etc.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost