Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

> Do you maintain any documentation of "common Linux-isms" that hinder
> porting to NetBSD?

_I_ don't.  I don't think _we_ do, either.

I have to deal with porting issues moderately often.  While it's more
often in the other direction, convincing software I've written to run
on Linux, I have had some run-ins with portability to NetBSD.

The biggest two issues, I would say, are (1) assuming that the system's
version of a program is the GNU version (this is perhaps most visible
with make, but it's hardly restricted to that) and (2) assuming all the
world's i386 (or, recently, amd64) - in particular, little-endian and
no particular alignment restrictions.  (I find it amusing that the
former version of this, "all the world's a VAX", also was little-endian
with no particular alignment restrictions, whereas most other CPU
architectures seem to be big-endian with alignment restrictions.)

Of course, strictly, neither of these is Linux-specific.  But that's
where I see them coming from most.

\ / Ribbon Campaign