Re: cp -n diff

On Tue, 3 May 2011 23:57:26 +0200
Zafer Aydoğan <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost> wrote:

> 2011/5/3 Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost>:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:50:52PM +0200, Zafer Aydo?an wrote:
> >>
> >> It is not encouraged to use use -n in scripts, neither is -i.
> >> Both are not POSIX compliant but both are useful.
> >> This feature is part of the FreeBSD repository since almost a decade
> >> and it is common behaviour in modern Unix operating systems.
> >
> > (Except that it isn't, since the two "modern Unix operating systems"
> >  you specifically named use _different_ syntax)
>
> In terms of "use can use that feature" it is.

I don't mind if cp(1) has the feature or not;

I wish install(1) had such (it only supports overwrite or renaming the
original file).  However NetBSD install would then be the only one with
that option, I think, and that's similar to relying on a shell or
makefile specific feature to avoid the install invokation for existing
configuration files...

Oh well.
--
Matt