Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM, der Mouse
<mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
>> /libexec.  Which is also where /etc/{daily,weekly,monthly,security}
>> should be, as there hasn't AFAIK been any valid reason for sysadmins
>> to edit those in a long time.
>
> So, admins that find NetBSD's maintenance scripts unsuitable for their
> purposes must provide their own, rather than modify the existing ones?
>
> Is it "valid" (whatever that means) to remove those lines from root's
> crontab and run my own instead?  If not, you've just broken NetBSD for
> a *whole lot* of uses.  If so, what's the difference?  Why is it
> "valid" to modify one system-provided thing (root's crontab) but not
> another (the maintenance scripts)?

crontab is configuration, daily is not.  If you don't like daily's
behavior, disable the relevant parts through daily.conf and add
whatever you need to daily.local.  And yes, if you don't like any of
this, just don't use the standard daily script and write your own.

(I know your server will reject my email, so I'm not even sure why I
am bothering to write this.)

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv