Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

tls%panix.com@localhost (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:

>On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 07:12:42AM +0200, Michael van Elst wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 06:54:14PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>>
>> > If I'm concerned about the possibility of configuring a system daemon
>> > in such a dangerous way, I can remove it -- or elsewise pin down its
>> > configuration.
>>
>> Like the system daemon /bin/sh or is just inetd evil ?

>Thank you for strategically cutting and pasting my text in order to
>remove any semblance of meaning.

Actually that's exactly your statement. Moving scripts out of the
way is important, moving configuration files isn't because you
can remove the system daemons using them in a dangerous way or
pin down their configuration.

I don't think that the quote hides anything of this. But I am quite
sure that this is pure rethoric because the following tries to prove
a point by "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" instead of arguing.

>Have you actually ever tried to build a Unix system with a real,
>verifiable TCB?  I have.  What I'm suggesting are things that I know
>would make it easier, because I've actually tried it about 10 different
>ways over the past 15 years, and I have some recollection of what was
>a real pain in the butt and what wasn't, really, all that hard to work
>around.

>As I pointed out, I have, in fact, built Unix systems with no /bin/sh.

And this is related how to moving rc scripts out of /etc ? When
you run a system without any kind of interpreter (not just /bin/sh)
then rc scripts have no impact at all.

My argument was that you have to move almost everything out of /etc
because manipulation of configuration files can have and often has
the same effect as manipulation of rc scripts. In fact, many configuration
files can specify that shell scripts are executed.

If you however move everything out of /etc then you just spread
the sensible data to probably many different places, adding
complexity without end.

>I'm not quite sure why you're so angry about this.

I'm not angry. Moving rc scripts out of etc doesn't make anything
better and it surely doesn't improve security.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost