Re: Proposal: _ctype_ table bitwidth change

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 06:25:33PM +0900, T.SHIOZAKI wrote:
> NetBSD is used not only for full desktop environments but also for
> embedded environments.  In the latter cases, full locale implementation
> may be just obstructive.  To implement is* functions defined in
> ctype.h, 32bit table is too plentiful and 16bit table is adequate.
> Nozaki-san probably decide so.
>
> Of course, exposing full rune table does not mean that it is impossible
> to disable full locale stuff, and nowadays we need not worry about
> difference of such table size.

Exposing the unmodified rune table (except filtering for multibyte
locales) feels much cleaner for me. It shouldn't require the full locale
support, just the code to read the tables (and keep the entries for
0..255).

I don't think table size is a strong argument here -- 1024/1536 Bytes vs
512/768 Bytes. Second column if we want to allow the signed char wrap
around "fix".

Joerg