Re: Proposal: _ctype_ table bitwidth change

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:05:17PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 03:50:24AM +0900, Takehiko NOZAKI wrote:
> > i wrote patch to increase _ctype_ table bit to 16bit, patch is here.
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tnozaki/patch-insufficient_ctype_bits
>
> As I wrote earlier, IMO the correct approach is to make the rune table
> the public interface. Drop the current _CTYPE_* macros for anything but
> legacy purposes. Drop them completely after the next major bump.
> chrtbl is dead already and I plan to remove the rest of the libc code
> soonish, it just complicated this without any real gain.

To clarify this to avoid unnecessary confusion: there are two different
interfaces that deal with character classification, ctype.h and
wctype.h. I am only talking about ctype.h and the necessary 257 entry
table used by the macros in it. This is not about wchar_t and the
associated issues like dynamic character classes etc.

Joerg