Re: Bad threading performance

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:21:29 +0000
Andrew Doran <ad%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Your program makes life somewhat difficult for the scheduler
> because your jobs are short lived.  It sees a number of threads in a
> tight loop of communication together, running short tasks and so will
> try to run these on the same CPU.
>
> When you signal and unlock each task queue, it's likely to preempt the
> controlling thread and run the short job on the same CPU, so you get
> a sort of serializing effect because the controlling thread is off
> the CPU and can't signal the next worker thread to run.

OK this probably explains why CPUs are stuck waiting. Maybe this is a
good strategy for executing batch jobs, but it seems to work poorly for
bursts of short parallel jobs. I imagine in the near future, as the
number of CPU cores goes up, this type of concurrent programming will
be more common, e.g. a serial path, followed by bursts of short
parallel sections.

> As each worker thread consumes CPU time it will be penalised by
> having its priority lowered below that of the controlling thread.
> This cancels the preemption effect, causing things to be queued up on
> the controlling CPU thereby allowing remote CPUs to steal tasks from
> it and get a slice of the action.
>
> For some reason this distribution as a result of lowered priority is
> not happening. perhaps because of this test in sched_takecpu():
>
>     385               /* If CPU of this thread is idling - run
> there */ 386          if (ci_rq->r_count == 0) {
>
> Can you try changing this to:
>
>         /*
>          * If CPU of this thread is idling - run there.
>          * XXXAD Test for PL_PPWAIT and special case for vfork()??
>          */
>       if (ci->ci_data.cpu_onproc == ci->ci_data.cpu_idlelwp)

I've tried these changes, but unfortunately it makes little/no
difference.