Re: mksh import

From: "Alex Goncharov" <alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:16 PM
,--- You/Kent (Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:41:49 -0600) ----*
| Ksh93 has shown itself to be much more efficient than other shells.
| | IMO mksh is not on par with ksh93 in performance
Any pointers to performance comparisons and/or test cases, for any
shells?

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --

Here is a link to a presentation given at NLUUG several
years back:

https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dqwmc5b_0fpv6h5

Look at slides 17 and 18 in particular (though the whole presentation is interesting). The test results are normalized on ksh93s, i.e. for the 'subshell' test, bash took 30 times longer (not 30 seconds longer), to complete than ksh93. Since ksh93s, there has been a release of ksh93t+ (which added 'type' definitions, i.e."objects", see write-up below). The current release is ksh93u. He wasn't aware of mksh at the time he did these tests so it is not included. Mr. Korn said that he would make the tests available to us if we wanted to run them.

It is pretty clear in looking at the numbers that ksh93 is
a performance winner.

I sat down today and just wrote a couple of small shell "benchmarks" and the one thing that most stood out is
how terrible bash performance is. And this is confirmed
by the results from Korn's tests.

IMO, this is pretty much a no-brainer. With ksh93 performance,
it's functionality, continued development and improvement, and the fact it is becoming the defacto standard, I think ksh93 should be the default / base shell in NetBSD.

I also think that if mksh can implement ksh93 functionality and
get the performance where it needs to be then we should seriously consider making mksh the default shell in the future.

Below you will find a terse summary of the new 'type' functionality
that was included in ksh93t+. In a nutshell, Mr. Korn has added
support for "objects" including self-referentialism and inheritance.
Also noteworthy is the new command substitution mechanism ${<cmd>;} whereby the substitution is carried out in the current shell avoiding the cost of creating a sub-shells.

Kent

--

The ability for users to define types has been added to ksh93t. Here is a quick summary of how types are defined and used in ksh93t. This is still a work in progress so some changes and additions are likely.

A type can be defined either by a shared library or by using the new typeset -T option to the shell. The method for defining types via a shared library is not described here. However, the source file bltins/enum.c is an example of a builtin that creates enumeration types.

By convention, typenames begin with a capitol letter and end in _t. To define a type, use

typeset -T Type_t=(
                definition
)

where definition contains assignment commands, declaration commands, and function definitions. A declaration command (for example typeset, readonly, and export), is a built-in that differs from other builtins in that tilde substitution is performed on arguments after an =, assignments do not have to precede the command name, and field splitting and pathname expansion is not performed on the arguments. For example,

        typeset -T Pt_t=(
                float -h 'length in inches' x=1
                float -h 'width in inches' y=0
                integer -S count=0
                len()
                {
                    print -r $((sqrt(_.x*_.x + _.y*_.y)))
                }
                set()
                {
                    (( _.count++))
                }
        )

defines a type Pt_t that has three variables x, y, and count defined as well as the discipline functions len and set. The variable x has an initial value of 1 and the variable y has an initial value of 0. The new -h option argument, is used for documentations purposes as described later and is ignored outside of a type definition.

The variable count has the new -S attribute which means that it is shared between all instances of the type. The -S option to typeset is ignored outside of a type definition. Note the variable named _ that is used inside the function definition for len and set. It will be a reference to the instance of Pt_t that invoked the function. The functions len and set could also have been defined with function len and function set, but since there are no local variables, the len() and set() form are more efficient since they don't need to set up a context for local variables and for saving and restoring traps.

If the discipline function named create is defined it will be
invoked when creating each instance for that type. A function named create cannot be defined by any instance.

When a type is defined, a declaration built-in command by this name is added to ksh. As with other shell builtins, you can get the man page for this newly added command by invoking Pt_t --man. The information from the -h options will be embedded in this man page. Any functions that use getopts to process arguments will be cross referenced on the generated man page.

Since Pt_t is now a declaration command it can be used in the definition of other types, for example

        typeset -T Rect_t=( Pt_t ur ll)

Because a type definition is a command, it can be loaded on first reference by putting the definition into a file that is found on FPATH. Thus, if this definition is in a file named Pt_t on FPATH, then a program can create instances of Pt_t without first including the definition.

A type definition is readonly and cannot be unset. Unsetting non-shared elements of a type restores them to their default value. Unsetting a shared element has no effect.
The Pt_t command is used to create an instance of Pt_t.

        Pt_t p1

creates an instance named p1 with the initial value for p1.x set to 1 and the initial value of p1.y set to 0.

Pt_t p2=(x=3 y=4)

creates an instance with the specified initial values. The len function gives the distance of the point to the origin. Thus, p1.len will output 1 and p2.len will output 5.

ksh93t also introduces a more efficient command substitution mechanism. Instead of $(command), the new command substitution ${ command;} can be used. Unlike (and ) which are always special, the { and } are reserved words and require the space after { and a newline or ; before }. Unlike $(), the ${ ;} command substitution executes the command in
the current shell context saving the need to save and restore
changes, therefore also allowing side effects. When trying to expand an element of a type, if the element does not exist, ksh will look for a discipline function with that name and treat this as if it were the ${ ;} command substitution. Thus, ${p1.len} is equivalent to ${ p1.len;} and within an arithmetic expression, p1.len will be expanded
via the new command substitution method.

The type of any variable can be obtained from the new prefix
operator @.  Thus, ${@p1} will output Pt_t.

By default, each instance inherits all the discipline functions defined by the type definition other than create. However, each instance can define a function by the same name that will override this definition. However, only discipline functions with the same name as those defined by the type or the standard get, set, append, and unset disciplines can be defined by each instance.

Each instance of the type Pt_t behaves like a compound variable except that only the variables defined by the type can be referenced or set. Thus, p2.x=9 is valid, but p2.z=9 is not. Unless a set discipline function does otherwise, the value of $p1 will be expanded to the form of a compound variable that can be used for reinput into ksh.

If the variables var1 and var2 are of the same type, then the assignment
var2=var1

will create a copy of the variable var1 into var2. This is equivalent to

        eval var2="$var1"

but is faster since the variable does not need to get expanded or reparsed.

The type Pt_t can be referenced as if it were a variable using the name .sh.type.Pt_t. To change the default point location for subsequent instances of Pt_t, you can do

        .sh.type.Pt_t=(x=5 y=12)

so that
        Pt_t p3
        p3.len

would be 13.

Types can be defined for simple variables as well as for compound objects such as Pt_t. In this case, the variable named . inside the definition refers to the real value for the variable. For example, the type definition

        typeset -T Time_t=(
                integer .=0
                _='%H:%M:%S'
                get()
                {
                    . sh.value=$(printf "%(${_._})T" "#$((_))" )
                }
                set()
                {
                    .sh.value=$(printf "%(%#)T" "${.sh.value}")

                }
        )

The sub-variable name _ is reserved for data used by discipline functions and will not be included with data written with the %B option to printf. In this case it is used to specify a date format.

In this case

        Time_t t1 t2=now

will define t1 as the time at the beginning of the epoch and t2 as the current time. Unlike the previous case, $t2 will output
the current time in the date format specified by the value t2._.
However, the value of ${t2.} will expand the instance to a form
that can be used as input to the shell.

Finally, types can be derived from an existing type.  If the first
element in a type definition is named _, then the new type
consists of all the elements and discipline functions from the
type of _ extended by elements and discipline functions defined
by new type definition.  For example,

        typeset -T Pq_t=(
                Pt_t _
                float z=0.
                len()
                {
                  print -r $((sqrt(_.x*_.x + _.y*_.y + _.z*_.z)))
                }
        )

defines a new type Pq_t which is based on Pq_t and contains an additional field z and a different len discipline function. It is also possible to create a new type Pt_t based on the original Pt_t. In this case the original Pt_t is no longer accessible.