Re: mksh import

On Jan,Saturday 1 2011, at 9:00 PM, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:17:42AM +0100, Adam Hamsik wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I think that it would be good to have at least one modern shell in our base,
>> because I use ksh and it's de facto standard I have decided to make a patch
>> which adds mksh[1] to our base [2]. Code is BSD licensed, well written and
>> maintained which can't be said about our own ksh(There are 15 PRs opened for
>> it).
>
> [long lines not wrapped]
>
> What is the point to add another program and therfore add something which
> needs
> to be maintained and increases the size of the NetBSD base system?

It's maintained externally thats the point.

> Do we not have enough shells yet?
> Why not make it a package and then use it?

We have but no one cares about them there are PR's opened against them from 1.6
times and they are not going to be fixed anytime soon.

> Or do you want to replace the current ksh with this version?

Yeah that's my plan. I'm happy with keeping sh and csh where they are and by
replacing ksh with mksh from src/external

> If so how compatible is this version?

Compatible with our ksh or with posix ?

>> I would like to discuss this option to see if something like this would be
>> possible. I know that every developer has it's own preference for shell, but
>> have at least one modern shell should be priority for all of us.
>>
>> [1] http://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
>> [2] www.netbsd.org/~haad/mksh-r39.bz2
>
> Bernd

Regards