Re: snprintf(3) and friends async-signal safety?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:46:02 +0000 (UTC), christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
Question is: is it really safe to use it in a signal handler inside
NetBSD?

It is not and this is why we have vsnprintf_ss() but that does not handle
floating point formats.

That is not portable I guess -- and I don't see many executables using snprintf_ss().

Now that I have raised that point, should I fix dd(1) to:
- use snprintf_ss() functions,
- use a volatile sig_atomic_t and put a call to summary() in the input loop (that will cause delay to output, but it also fixes asynchronous access when reading statistics)
- leave it as-is (don't care)

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost