Re: Rumpification (was Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)

On Tue Dec 14 2010 at 18:55:16 -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Dec 15, 12:27am, pooka%cs.hut.fi@localhost (Antti Kantee) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Rumpification (was Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)
>
> | Yes, I agree the program should set a variable.  In fact, it does
> | that now.  The variable is called "program counter".
> |
> | I'm not sure how the nth call approach would work with loops,
> | conditionals, etc., or if you really expect me to reanalyze and recompile
> | a shim library every time some most likely unrelated change causes a
> | variation in the callstack.
>
> My bet is that you will have to resort to these techniques in a handful of
> cases, which could be handled by even modifying the source code in a less
> intrusive way than now. The rest of the cases can be deduced by argument
> inspection.

Fine, we shall see.

Although, I have converted pretty much all the utils I want for now
(apart from one quite interesting one I want to investigate tomorrow)
and I have not seen what you suggest I will have to resort to.

--
älä karot toivorikkauttas, kyl rätei ja lumpui piisaa