Re: humanize_number(3) for dd(1) summary?

On 04.12.2010 03:34, der Mouse wrote:
>> I can mimic what ls(1), df(1), du(1), ... do and add a "-h" flag to
>> have a "human readable" summary.
>
> I think adding "-"-prefixed flags to dd would be very very wrong.

I agree.

> If you really want to make this controllable but don't like conv=, I'd
> add something like a flag= argument which works like conv= but controls
> non-conversion behaviour.
>
> But I'm not sure conv= is wrong.  It has noerror and notrunc already,
> which while related to data copying are not quite conversions in the
> usual sense....

I can't really find prior art; the only notable exception being GNU
dd(1) [1].

conv=human looks convenient, but it looks a bit too generic to me. And
adding just a flag= or display= argument for that is IMHO overkill.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-coreutils%gnu.org@localhost/msg00890.html

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost