Re: Replacing usr.bin/grep with the version from FreeBSD

On Sun Oct 24 2010 at 18:01:33 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Hi all,
> any objection to integrate the current BSD grep version from FreeBSD?
> It is supposed to be working for almost all cases as GNU grep
> replacement. It is slower in some cases (which might be fixed by TRE),
> but it should generally be in a much better shape than the current code
> we have.

It doesn't handle everything GNU grep handles and it is slower?  For a
user that does not qualify as "much better shape".

Maybe the internal structure is better from a programmer pov, but I cannot
foresee any massive desire to start hacking like crazy on grep in 2010.
There have been 4 commits to grep in our source tree in the past 7 years.

Functionally it would be a loss.  Is there any gain other than our
license cult worship rituals?