Re: mounting wedges by name

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 11:07:40 +0000 (UTC)
mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) wrote:

> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/mlelstv/mount.diff is a patch
> to mount(8) that allows you to mount a partition by using the syntax
> "NAME=string" as the special file where 'string' is the Unicode name
> of the wedge. The same syntax can be used in fstab.

I think this is very useful.

Are disk names provided by sysctl already converted to UTF-8 as
necessary?  As I see that GPT labels appear to be UTF-16LE encoded.  A
quick look at kern/subri_iostat.c did not show any encoding conversion
and I didn't check further yet.  I'm honestly unfamiliar with that code,
but your comparision code would seem to work for me in the case of
ASCII or UTF-8 only.

Thanks,
--
Matt