Re: debug sets?

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:32:13AM -0500, David Young wrote:
  | It's handy to build NetBSD with MKDEBUG=yes, which puts debugging
  | information for every program (and library?) in /usr/libdata/debug/.

Yes, MKDEBUG=yes enables debug information for both programs
and libraries (I fixed support for the latter recently).
To fully take advantage of MKDEBUG, you also need to build
with -g added to DBG.

  | I'd build every release with MKDEBUG=yes, except that the standard set
  | files, especially comp.tgz, get very, very big, and a MKDEBUG release
  | for i386 does not fit on a CD-ROM.
  |
  | What if we introduced two new sets for debugging information, debug.tgz
  | and xdebug.tgz (for the X11 bits), and an option to divide a release
  | between the usual ISO9660 image and a second image that holds just the
  | debug sets---e.g., i386cd.iso and i386debugcd.iso?

Rather than just debug.tgz (and xdebug.tgz), I have considered the idea
of moving the .debug from comp.tgz into <actualset>-debug.tgz.
So we'd have base.tgz base-debug.tgz, [...]

Whatever naming convention is is decided, I think this could work well
with the effort that Matt Green has been doing recently in improving
the set list generation/management.

cheers,
Luke.