Re: Importing xmlgrep into base

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 01:40:47PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> David Young wrote:
>
> > Nhat Minh Lï's GSoC 2009 project, xmlgrep, is ready to be imported into
> > the base system.  It depends on expat, the stream-oriented XML parsing
> > library.
>
> Is there a reason this is being imported into base instead of pkgsrc?
> Is there anything else in base that uses or outputs XML that xmlgrep
> would be useful for?

As I wrote to somebody yesterday, there are lots of reasons that the
xmltools are most useful in the base system.  XML is everywhere; even
the base system produces XML in the form of Property Lists.  XML is a
useful format for base programs, scripts, and pipelines to exchange
structured information.  The base system reliably cross-compiles for
embedded systems where xmltools are suitable because of their small
size, speed, and tiny core-memory footprint.

Dave