Fwd: Re: Ported libieee1284 to NetBSD

Sorry for replying directly to sender.

Subject: Re: Ported libieee1284 to NetBSD
Date: December 1, 2009
From: Jacques Pelletier <jpelletier%ieee.org@localhost>
To: "Jonathan A. Kollasch" <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost>

On November 20, 2009 02:21:03 pm you wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:24:29PM -0400, Jacques Pelletier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I submitted a patch to the libieee1284 team at sourceforge for compiling
> > their library on NetBSD.
> >
> > It seems to work, but negotiation fails. The same hardware and BIOS
> > settings works under Slakware.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Don't use <machine/pio.h> it was decreed that this is a kernel-private
> iterface.
Since libieee1284 is a library, shouldn´t it have access to the IO? Or direct
access to IO is limited to device drivers?

> Additionally, it'd probably be better to use libi386/libx86_64
> and (i386|x86_64)_iopl() rather than doing the syscall yourself.

> However, I'm not sure if this will fix your problem.

My patch still needs some work. Are there some people here interested to give
it a try? I´ll put the modified libieee1284 0.2.11 on sourceforge. It uses
direct IO, but while this works, it allows for some testing until the code is
changed for more proper access to IO ports.

> Also, NetBSD has a FreeBSD-like atppc/ppbus driver similar to that in
> FreeBSD, if that's of any use to you.

I´m not familiar with programming on NetBSD particularly. Where can I get more
information on these libraries? In the meanwhile, I´ll do my own search.

Thanks!