Re: Adding the "links" text mode web browser to the base system

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 03:22:09PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 2009/11/2 Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost>:
> > On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:06:29PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know what the best way of determining this would be, the
> >> obvious ones would be a decision by core or a poll of developers
> >> (possibly whether to take a poll should be determined by core),
> >> including an "if the answer is no we should not revisit this for at
> >> least N years". I personally would be happy to abide by either option.
> >
> > It seems to me that if you ask here and get uniformly negative response,
> > that's a pretty good indication right there...
>
> I think the majority of people do not care, some would like, would
> would like not, and a smaller group would really like and another
> smaller group is absolutely opposed.

I just read the entire set of responses again -- I don't think you got a
single positive one.

That would probably make this the right point to stop trying to push a 1MB
behemoth into base, rather than to say the lurkers might agree with you if
only they'd sent email.  From my point of view, I have little use for it
but it'd be quite different if it were, say, 80 or 100K -- the problem
with links is that it's so darned huge the cost/benefit tradeoff is going
to be a lot harder to justify than a lot of other things you might want
to add to the system.

Thor