Re: Lua as a scripting language in NetBSD

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:22:11 -0400
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
> I have to say, I like Python as a language for many purposes.  But as an
> embedded scripting language, I don't like Python.  It is very, very hard
> to cross build, its runtime is huge, and its maintainers have basically
> no self discipline, changing the API and ABI at the drop of a hat for

Can you support that statement?  My experience has been the opposite.
Within the 2.x series everything has been backwards compatible,
sometimes painfully so.  The major changes are in the 2.x ==> 3.x change
for which they are giving people years to adopt and including tools to
make the migration easier.

I don't want to see this become a language war - I think the discussion
should focus on whether we need a scripting language in base, not what
it should be - but the above statement seemed very unfair given the
amount of wotk that Python developers have done to make upgrades happen
as smoothly as possible.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/