Re: Lua as a scripting language in NetBSD

Am 17.10.2009 um 13:18 schrieb Martin Husemann:

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:56:08PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
Now, what perspective did *that* statement come from?!?

Marc said he won't discuss Java nor JavaScript - I just had to bite.
JavaScript is realy a cool language, despite the misguiding name. And I have the gut feeling that more people are used to writing/reading JavaScript
than Lua.

I must probably clarify this. I did look at JavaScript and Java but I embedded both in host programs to check their fitness for the task at hand. They are not good candidates according to my judgment, huge, massive, big memory fingerprint. I really don't see those languages as good canidates for general use. Python, Perl, Lua, otoh, could be seen as natural candidates. ymmv.

That is why I only talked about the other languages in my mail. Actually, I did want to talk about any other language, as I think the features of Lua should stand for theirselves and everyone can look at Lua, any other language and draw his own conclusions.

I was looking at:

- memory footprint
- execution speed
- setup/startup speed (loading a binary with the language interpreter linked in)
- language (syntax, features)
- ease of use (aka ease of learning)
- embeddability
- stability