xmltools status and (future) integration into base

Hi,

As my xmltools are getting near a usable state (xmlgrep has been
around for a while, and I expect xmlsed to be out in the coming weeks;
you can read more on the state of the tools themselves on my blog[1]),
I would like some pointers on how they should integrate into base.

I'm not much more familiar with the /usr/src hierarchy than what is
written in hier(7), but as far as I understand it, I could either put
my code in external/bsd/xmltools/ or usr.bin/xmltools/.

On the one hand, my project is using the NetBSD makefile-based build
system natively so, technically, I think it is more logical to have
them in usr.bin/xmltools/, with several subdirectories building the
different tools and a common/ subdirectory for the static core library
(eventually I would like to be able to make the library into something
externally reusable though, that is not the case yet, but should this
become possible, would my library have to move elsewhere?). That would
look somewhat like e.g. how usr.bin/xlint is organized at the moment.

On the other hand, I would probably want to continue development on my
own Git repository, only importing changes into base when they are
stable enough, and David Young, my mentor, has told me this work flow
suits external/ better.

Which one is preferable? Or is there another option I have overlooked?

Nhat Minh

 [1] http://blog.huoc.org/xmltools/