terminfo vs termcap

OpenGroup docs [1] indicate that termcap(5) is deprecated in favour of terminfo(5). We seem to be the last player without terminfo as everyone else is using ncurses or equivalent. There also seems to be some resistance about importing ncurses into base ...

So I looked into what we have, and I think we can do quite a bit by providing libterminfo to read the terminfo db's and provide termcap compat functions and a basic tic compiler to convert termcap(5) and terminfo(5) sources into terminfo.dbs. curses(3) would have to be re-tooled around libterminfo of course.

Would this meet any resistance, or should I write some code?

Thanks

Roy