Re: wedge like devices and newfs

On Jun,Tuesday 2 2009, at 11:53 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 07:39:33PM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:
If DIOCGDINFO fails, newfs (and other tools using getdiskinfo()) will
use
DIOCGWEDGEINFO.  Maybe having zvols should handle DIOCGWEDGEINFO ?
Yes but DIOCGWEDGEINFO is used only to get name of parent device on
which
DIOCGDINFO is later called. Everything which was received from WEDGEINFO
ioctl
was later zeroed and replaced by information from CGDINFO call.

No, if WEDGEINFO was used, part2wedge is not called and informations from
WEDGEINFO is not erased.

Ah I see, sorry. Problem is that e.g. for newfs information in wedge_info are not enough. For working newfs you need DIOCGDINFO because otherwise it will not know sector size. And we are back to main proble that I need to implement disklabels for devices where disklabel doesn't make any sense. I still thing that my patch simplifies this code a lot, add support for wedge like devices and still support old disk devices.

Regards

Adam.