Re: Binary patch generation script (initial version)

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 02:25:27PM +0200, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:
> Salut,
>
> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 04:18:35AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > The NetBSD Foundation encourages use of the 2 clause license. This
> > would be better:
>
> I'm going to change that in all locations in the end; right now it's
> 3-claused, yes. Please note that this script is part of the project
> I introduced earlier, it lives in the directory "provider". Thus I
> chose to be consistent for now.
>
> > Are you using GNU awk specific constructs? If so, please change them
> > to one true awk ones.
> >
> > For pkgsrc-based utilities, you need to make these much more general.
>
> As I wrote, this script is already configure'd on a NetBSD host. It was
> just made available to everyone in a useful shape before I update the
> package in pkgsrc.
>
> The AWK=gawk has indeed been set by configures AC_PROG_AWK macro.
>
> > As already indicated, please consider the use of netpgp and the
> > existing web of trust. There's a package in pkgsrc/security/netpgp.
>
> That would mean changing the current patch format entirely and
> rewriting the other tools; I'd prefer to get them running first
> and to introduce a new patch format with PGP later if required.
> For now, OpenSSL was chosen in order to add as few out-of-base
> dependencies as possible.

Thanks for your mail.

I suggest you change the license to the one which is preferred by the
NetBSD Foundation, and then this project could be considered.

Even then, Elad has pointed out that there are a number of other
systems which deliver the goals that you are working towards.  Why
would your system be chosen if you are unwilling to follow advice and
fix things?

Regards,
Alistair