Re: Adding openresolv to base

David Holland wrote:
No, you have an include directive in /etc/resolv.conf at the point you
want. Or you don't have it at all, if that's what you want. Simple and
easy to manage.

Infact, the way resolvconf works internally is that it stores the exact resolv.conf presented to it by dhcpcd, dhclient, etc in a directory in /var and then re-assembles /etc/resolv.conf from this. There's also an option to write to /any/file instead of /etc/resolv.conf, so you could use /dev/null and patch libc to include resolv.conf's from this directory.

But are we agreed that resolvconf is an acceptable API? Many applications in pkgsrc already support it and it comes with a comprehensive man page.

You're also ignoring the extra benefits of openresolv dealing with a local resolver such as named or dnsmsq.

I don't see how this is relevant to management of which state is kept
where...

It's not, I thought you were just dismissing the resolvconf approach completely.

Thanks

Roy