Re: Adding openresolv to base

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:29:21PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > Rather than introducing further hacks to automatically munge what's
> > theoretically a sysadmin-edited file, can we have the daemons do this
> > in /var/run, and have the resolver go look at the results based on a
> > resolv.conf setting?
>
> this removes the logic for dealing with /etc/resolv.conf from a
> number of places, so it makes it easier to move the storage to a
> different place. If you want to go that way, it actually is an important
> step into the right direction.

But David makes a useful distinction, don't you think?  Let /etc hold
adminstrative inputs and /var/run hold system state.  Adminstrators don't
have to worry about their carefully edited, commented, version-controlled
files getting clobbered, and openresolv can manage its file without
concern for preserving formatting and comments.

--jkl