Re: Adding openresolv to base

David Brownlee wrote:
    Short answer, I think its an excellent plan.

    One question - is there a single place/setting to enable/disable
    openresolv for all consumers on the system?

The accepted behaviour for all tools like this is if it's installed, use it. resolvconf itself has no option to say "I am enabled", and from a quick perusal of alternative tools from other OS's none of them have an option for this either. At least, if they do, the applications that use it don't make use of it. It's an application choice to use this tool or not to.

On the other hand, I'm not adverse to adding an option to openresolv for this either. It would make the application code look something like so

if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ] && /sbin/resolvconf -e; then
   echo_resolv_conf | /sbin/resolvconf -a $interface
else
   echo_resolv_conf > /etc/resolv.conf
fi

Or the setting could just be a passthrough so that

   echo_resolv_conf | /sbin/resolvconf -a $interface
is equivalent to
   echo_resolv_conf > /etc/resolv.conf

We could still save the resolv.conf per interface so if the user toggled the setting in resolvconf.conf then a simple resolvconf -u would be enough to change things over.

Thanks

Roy