Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
>        I find vi easier and more pleasant to use than ee, but then I
>        prefer vi to any number of other editors. Unfortunately (or
>        possibly fortunately), we're not discussing what I like, but
>        what a user who has never used either would be *able* to use.

You don't answer my point on ee's MMI. I don't care if you prefer vi
or emacs, I'm pointing out that ee's MMI sucks and even GNU nano has a
better easy-to-use-ness.

I might be all for a *simple* text editor. Take ee and strip it from
all its formating options. Just keep open/"save&quit"/"quit&drop
modification" directly accessible, not more, no undo/redo, no bogus
emacs shortcut, no paragraph reformatting, no stupid question about
modified buffer, nothing printed constantly on the screen but a F1
help hook, no menu. To summarize, a text editor which just edit text,
not a swiss knife and not in base.

 - Arnaud