5.0 RC1: mail(1) oddities

I had occasion to send mail from a 5.0_RC1 system today.  Because very
little of my personal environment was set up there, I was using
mail(1), and my terminal type setting (propagated via ssh) did not have
a termcap entry available.

The reason I'm writing is the reaction this provokes:

% mail destination
No entry for terminal type "mterm";
using dumb terminal settings.
No entry for terminal type "mterm";
using dumb terminal settings.
No entry for terminal type "mterm";
using dumb terminal settings.
No entry for terminal type "mterm";
using dumb terminal settings.

This provokes two reactions: (a) I can't see why mail(1) would care
about terminal types at all; (b) four copies of the notification seems
a bit..excessive.  Also, when (in reaction) I interrupt it with my
VINTR character at the Subject: prompt, I just get a newline printed.
Then I have to type _another_ interrupt to get the usual echo and the
"(Interrupt -- one more to kill letter)" note.  (A third interrupt does
kill the letter, reassuringly enough.)

Known?  Fixed?  Should I send-pr?  Or are these more things I consider
bugs but NetBSD doesn't?

\ / Ribbon Campaign