MKPUFFS and other userspace build variables

Modularity is good for user space too, so why was MKPUFFS build flag
removed a while ago? And generally, are new build flags for userspace
accepted or not?

MKPUFFS removal probably had something to do with the MKRUMP I proposed as a
workaround for the problems I saw and still see with rump and binutils
2.18.50. MKPUFFS removal of course broke the MKRUMP patch, but I have
fixed it since I need it. Though right now MKPUFFS would be nice.
I also have an ARM specific MKGZBOOT due to problems introduced by newer
binutils. But I'm not sure what to do with these patches.

IMO, the build variables could exist even if they bit rot a bit and
active maintainers don't care about them. Sometimes it is easier for us
users to fix the broken build variable than to dig into fixing some other
part of NetBSD which is not relevant for the work at hand. Especially current
is such a moving target, that build variables help when reproducing
problems with various snapshots of it which each suffer from different build or
other failures.

-Mikko

What is Your Idea of Tomorrow? Let Teleca help you realize it. Visit us at
Mobile World Congress 2009.
http://www.teleca.com/mwc2009