Re: new nvi option: expandtab

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:25:07PM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Luke Mewburn <lukem%netbsd.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> > (I originally called it "expandtabs", then noticed that vim(1)
> > has an "expandtab" option that sets similar behaviour.)
> >
> > thoughts?
> >
> is it needed to add bloat to the base system ? I mean, if someone
> want's to expand tab or other fancy stuff, he can always install
> vim(1).

I like NetBSD's base vi for its slim featurefulness. It feels very
much superior to vim (although I'm aware that technically it's not.
Had I split windows in nvi though I'd not use vim at all) to me.

> The underlying question would be "Do we want nvi to concurrence vim(1)
> feature-wise or do we want to keep something minimal, enough for
> everyday administration task ?"

Imo it's not just bare bones/minimal but 'good enough' and sufficient for
everyday use (not only administration).

Regards,

-Martin