Re: BeastieBox, a (Net)BSD BusyBox-like

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 03:14:04PM +0100, iMil wrote:

>> Just looking quickly at the code, you can avoid the "#ifdef BBOX
>> commant_<foo>() #else main() #endif" heavy logic and the
>> `commonfunc.sh' hack by using nm(1), objcopy(1) and symbol renaming as
>> done by crunchgen(1).
>
> I whish I learned this trick a week ago... I guess I have some
> "de-porting" to do

In other words, maybe the people who designed crunchgen and /rescue
actually had some idea what they were doing?

I think it would make a lot more sense to concentrate on:

1) Clean support for alternate lists of executables to crunch, in the
   existing build system, so a single build could produce multiple
   crunched executables without a lot of tedious list maintenance.

2) Making the existing "let's get small" (-DSMALL etc.) code cut out
   more stuff where possible, *particularly* library dependencies.

3) Ensuring that when libc files are built for use by crunchgen they
   are built with the options to make them as small as possible: no
   compat code, little or no nsswitch support, etc.

Instead of producing a separate busybox imitation for little or no reason
when /rescue already does pretty much exactly what is wanted.

If you submit good patches to address 1) 2) and 3) above I will make sure
they get into the NetBSD source tree.

Thor