Re: Building FILES?

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 09:28:48AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > > Please could you give an example of how to use this.
> >
> > FILES=                      tralala
> > FILESBUILD_tralala= yes
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it.  What will this actually do?

Have you looked at the patch?  It will add "tralala" to the list of
targets to make at realall time, and avoid making it .MADE at install
time.

> How do you tell it *how* to build the file?

Well duh, this is make, you provide a target for it.  In my use it will
be a .in suffix rule, but it can be something else.

> Why use a bunch of variables all set to yes, instead of a single
> variable with a list of file names?

I could do it that way too.  Obviously there is rather limited use for
it in our tree (although I'd suspect there is a number of local versions
to work around the limitations, but I haven't cheked), so I though just
a modifier to FILES could be enough.

> Also, it's conventional to use ".", not "_", in the variable name:
>
>       FILESBUILD.tralala = yes

My original question assumed you had knowledge of how to use
bsd.files.mk, at least, because the underscore is used there.

> > > didn't contain the documentation that should be added to bds.README.
> > Yeah, well, when it becomes a feature.
>
> New features that contain documentation are much easier to review.

But that one is straightforward if you know how to use bsd.files.mk.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost