Re: patch update

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> There is one important change that might bite people. SUS says that -b
> doesn't take an argument. Newer versions of GNU patch are consistent
> with this as well. For pkgsrc users this is chance 1.31 of
> mk/platform/NetBSD.mk. There's an open PR for this item.

My understanding is that the change is more than that.

Current behaviour: You can change the name of the ".orig" file but you
can't control whether or not it gets created.  ".orig" files are created
by default, and "-b .foo" can be used to change the name of the ".orig"
file.

New behaviour: You can change whether or not a ".orig" file gets
created, but you can't change its name.  ".orig" files are not created
by default, and "-b" (no argument) can be used to create a ".orig" file.

Much as I dislike incompatible changes to command line argments, I think
that it would be OK to comply with SUSv3 here.

--apb (Alan Barrett)