Re: vi vs. nvi

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> I think the point of installing nvi is to get it tested, without
> the risk of breaking "vi" for all users.

I thought that the point of putting the new nvi sources in the tree was
to enable testing by people who explicitly chose to test it.  The idea,
as I understood it, was that it would not be installed by default, but
would be easy to install by people who wanted to test it.  Installing
nvi by default was not discussed as far as I know, and it should simply
be treated as an mistake and undone.

Having multiple installed versions of a single program is something that
I would almost always oppose.  No matter how many versions of grep, tar,
or vi source code we have in the source tree, there should be only one
version or grep, tar, and vi in the install tree; except for people who
deliberately choose to install extra versions.

--apb (Alan Barrett)