Re: refuse: fuse_setup 26 incompatibility

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 06:22:44PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 05:55:29PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> > >
> > > The diffs look good - thanks for that.
> > > Please go ahead and commit them.
> >
> >   I just noticed that the patch removes a symbol (fuse_setup) from
> > librefuse, so a program that used the pre-2.6 API's fuse_setup linked
> > against the old version would no longer run.  Is this considered a
> > problem, or is librefuse considered too experimental to worry about
> > such corner cases?
>
> No, there are a number of pre-2.6 FUSE file systems out there
> (probably the majority of them), so it needs to be fixed for them (if
> I'm understanding you correctly).

  It only breaks the ones using fuse_setup, but I agree that not
breaking them is the better way.

  Should I leave fuse_setup as is, add a fuse_setup26 and use a
        #define fuse_setup      fuse_setup26
when the 26 API is requested?

  BTW, refuse defaults to API version 26, fuse defaults to 25.  Should
e fix this also, so programs that use the old fuse_setup version and
don't define FUSE_USE_VERSION still compile?

                                        yours,
                                        dillo