Re: SoC: Improve syslogd

Joerg,

just in case you don't know. The IETF draft is not yet finished and
currently under discussion. The current state is here:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-12.txt

It has been superseded by new proposed text just recently:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/msg01920.html

There is a lot of discussion going on:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/index.html

So the specifics are a moving target right now - but it is circeling
around some common ground.

Besides the actual standard, we need to think about how we configure a
syslogd. While of course there are different implementations, I would
like to see a minimum config file compatibility. This may be somewhat
hard to achieve, but I think it is worth trying.

I have a complete implementation of transport-tls in rsyslog. However,
the rsyslog extended config can, I think, not be used as a general
model. But maybe it is possible to find something that works well for
Martin and also can be implemented in rsyslog without major changes to
the core engine (which I can not do for one platform). What was
proposed so far looks like it could work.

Again, just for your information on my interest in this project.

Rainer