Re: mail.local NSS awareness

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:42:45PM +0000, Brian Ginsbach wrote:
  | On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:25:41PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | > NetBSD's nsswitch implementation was inspired by early Solaris 2.x
  | > (2.3? 2.4?) behaviour; it appears that Solaris 8 (2.8?) now supports
  | >   tryagain=(return|continue|forever|<n>)
  | > which could be used to force retries on temporary failures "forever"
  | > or for "n" retries.
  | >
  | > Until now there hasn't been a big demand for the "tryagain=(forever|<n>)"
  | > semantics in NetBSD; if you think it would be useful for you, submit
  | > a PR so we don't forget about it.
  | >

  | Note that I had (have) a version of nss that supported these
  | additional behaviors (tryagain...).  I can't recall right now why
  | we (Luke and I) couldn't come to an agreement on getting these
  | changes incorporated into the tree.

AFAICT (from perusing some mail archives), I think we were in
agreement about getting your changes for tryagain=<n> and
NS_STOPSRCH (or NS_STOPSEARCH) semantics incorporated at some point.
It probably got stalled during our chat about other (related) stuff.

It's been so long since I looked at any of this stuff, and
my memory is hazy on all the details. :-|

cheers,
Luke.